> As I see it from just viewing the page, there is no dynamic content on it
> (besides maybe the removed poll). That would mean its not necessary to code
> it in ugly PHP and regenerate it for each page view.

As it stands there is no dynamic content on the site that I've found. I
have found traces of what could have been dynamic content but is now just
whitespace within the HTML. I tried to remove as much of that as possible.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you call PHP ugly. Generally
speaking it's ugly based on the way it's implemented.

> I think, the logical thing is to do it the same way as its done for code:
> Write sourcecode in an easy language, compile it to static html and upload
> it
> once when you add content, then only serve the static pages.

While I'd hate to code in machine code or byte code, there generally isn't
an "easy" language for websites. Easy would be WYSIWYG editors such as
WordPress, Joomla! and Drupal (and to a far lesser extent implementations
of MediaWiki) and letting them do the conversions.

I am personally a fan of any type of CMS that divorces the content from
everything that it's wrapped in -- which I believes allows "non-tech"
content publishers to publish (generally) text based content without having
to worry about the HTML/PHP/CSS/SQL/JavaScript.

> Take a look at http://commonmark.org/ . This might enable writing some
> parts,
> like the news items, in nearly the same syntax as you do when editing the
> wiki
> at SF, without thinking about the details of html.

See above, and while I'm not familiar with that particular resource as I
mentioned above, I am in favor of anything that will help people create
content without having to worry about the technical aspects of web coding.

Hopefully we can move toward that in the future.

I guess, the menu parts of the website might not need many changes over time
> and could stay as is.

I haven't looked heavily at the menu (unfortunately FreeCol.org is blocked
at work), so i don't know what needs to change there, but generally it
seems to work, even if I'd argue that menu format is somewhat out of favor
with most modern designs.

Best,

--
*Caleb R. Williams*