On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 10:59:57 +0200
win...@genial.ms wrote:
> as I already told this number is very weakly defined and its effect
> can vary. I reduced it a bit again, but I cant see your screen.

Understood.  Alas the tutorial remains broken, and by a fair bit
still (the phrase "claim it for the Crown." is displayed as "cla" and "the
Crown").  I doubt that twiddling the magic numbers is going to help here.
Something more fundamental seems called for.

> Font size is the height of a letter, but these are variable width fonts.
> Its impossible to predict the column size from the height, yet this
> badly designed Java API does not take a pixel size

So is there an API available that does allow us to work out if the text
will fit?  I can see that the reliance on a number of columns in
getDefaultTextArea is going to be a problem for variable width fonts, so
that may be the place FreeCol needs to be changed.  That may even be a
hold over from a time when FreeCol was using a fixed width font for all I
know.

Cheers,
Mike Pope