Hi,

> So is there an API available that does allow us to work out if the text
> will fit?  I can see that the reliance on a number of columns in
> getDefaultTextArea is going to be a problem for variable width fonts, so
> that may be the place FreeCol needs to be changed.  That may even be a
> hold over from a time when FreeCol was using a fixed width font for all I
> know.

I googled a bit and found someone praising the broken way of setting a column
size and warning against ignoring it and just using setPreferredSize as that
would override it and not adapt to the font.
This is actually what we want, so I would say we should try and do this
everywhere in Utility.
I also found something on Oracle website mentioning to call setPreferredSize
on the JScrollPane containing the JTextArea.
Its just that I found I've come to detest fiddling with getting all these GUI
elements to look right, so it may take some time.

Greetings,

wintertime