While not qualified as a hardcore DOS programmer I am
trying to compile FreeCOM and I never got so close as this
time so maybe someone can help me out here ...

I downloaded and unzipped current CVS-freecom:
http://fdos.org/kernel/freecom.HEAD.zip (2004-11-05)
I installed Tcpp101 and NASM 0.98.36
I adjusted the paths in config.mak for TCPP and NASM.
I run build.bat and it halts almost immediately in .\suppl
  "suppl.tgz: bad compression data"
(after it first produces some warnings on untar)
It seems there might be a workaround so I follow that.
I download an alternative Suppl from:
http://freedos.sourceforge.net/freecom/packages/suppl.zip
extract this to .\Suppl2, adjust the path for Suppl in config.mak
and create a file "skip" in .\Suppl as instructed.
Now I try "build" again. Bingo! Some warnings here and there
but in the end there is a fresh command.com produced !

One step away from my goal: xms-swap-command.com.
So I run "build.bat -r xms-swap". It also seems to go all the
way but in the end it chokes in .\shell:
"Error: segment _TEXT exceeds 64K"  (repeated 4 times)

Command.map starts with:

Warning: __fstpcpy defined in module FSTPCPY.OBJ is duplicated in
  module FSTPCPY
Warning: _exit defined in module cswapc.c is duplicated in module
  EXIT
Warning: _putenv defined in module ENV_PUT.OBJ is duplicated in
  module PUTENV
Error: Segment _TEXT exceeds 64K
Error: Segment _TEXT exceeds 64K
Error: Segment _TEXT exceeds 64K
Error: Segment _TEXT exceeds 64K

 Start  Stop   Length Name               Class

 00000H 1008FH 10090H _TEXT              CODE
 10090H 10090H 00000H _FARDATA        FAR_DATA

What can I do about this to finally compile my
xms-swap command.com?

Thanks,

Erwin