Blair Campbell schreef:
There is an option in crynwr.bat which says to load a VMWare
compatible packet driver.  Use this.

OK, I confess, I'm blind! :)
VMware's emulated network card is also PCI, can't you use PCISLEEP with the output I sent? Same for Bochs (NE2000?) and QEMU (same?) if they allow a proper scanning of their emulated PCI stuff.

VMware: 0011 1022:2000 0200 AMD LAN/ETHERNET

in crynwr.bat all those ">NUL" looks strange.
Fastest way is to use CTTY NUL, and use CTTY CON before you want to output anything to screen again. (or want user input) Only drawback is you must never do a "execute batchfile line-by-line/step-by-step" as answering YES to CTTY NUL forces you to press the power/reboot button on the computer.

Also you sometimes have a colon in batchcode at the PCI ID numbers, sometimes not:
find /I "0357:000a" %tmp%\nic.txt > NUL
if "%errorlevel%"=="0" set pktcmd=rtspkt 0x60 > NUL
if not "%pktcmd%"=="" goto detect1
find /I "1025 005a" %tmp%\nic.txt > NUL
if "%errorlevel%"=="0" set pktcmd=rtspkt 0x60 > NUL
if not "%pktcmd%"=="" goto detect1
find /I "1025 8920" %tmp%\nic.txt > NUL
if "%errorlevel%"=="0" set pktcmd=rtspkt 0x60 > NUL

(and  SET commands never require '>NUL' :))

it's really funny when actually no network card is present.
In VMware for example you can easily disable this piece of hardware.

I thought I changed this, but I'll look again

I mean where the big logo (splash screen) is shown when booting from cdrom.

if things then go wrong, I can't see what's going on as you're jumping
back to the initial screen/menu right away.
maybe something like this might be usefull:
if "%debug%"=="1" pause

Good idea.  I hate not being able to see errors myself

I'm actually thinking of MODE program, which has a feature for seeing if CAPSLOCK/NUMLOCK/SCROLLLOCK are pressed or not.
'if key_pressed --> enter_debugmode'
but I don't know if Eric allowed MODE to return errorlevels for those keys.
2*2*2 possibilities -> errorlevel 1..8 ?
MODE /BUTTONSTATUS maybe :)

Menu must be a batch file, but I was unaware that help was a batch
file.  Menu.bat is located in X:\FDOS\BIN and contains the commands
necessary to easily load programs.

HELP is indeed a binary file. I thought it might have been an alias.
MENU is a batchfile, good :)

it's nice to exchange some ideas. Thanks for your extensive work.

Bernd