Alain M. wrote:
> Arkady V.Belousov escreveu:
>> EA> Several users have lost their boot loader,
>>      You wish to say, that some boot-loaders don't have MBR signature?
>
> Being one that lost it, I can say with 99.999% certainty that my MBR was
> ok. I believe that some obscure read error caused it to belive that my
> MBR was wrong.
>
> Alain

I will second that.  My MBR was fine until fdisk decided to "fix it."  I
believe that it was an "obscure read error".  Having fdisk write an
MBR may be one of those operations where you not only ask "are you SURE"
before doing the operation, but ask again "Are you REALLY SURE."  The
default should NEVER be to write to the MBR unless the user specifically
requests it.

Fdisk never asked me before it overwrote my MBR. My problem turned out
to be repeatable ... I could trash my MBR any time I wanted just by
booting FreeDOS and running FDISK.

(This eventually led to a change in emm386 which eliminated the
problem on that specific computer).

Mark