Hi Ladislav,

Please provide more details about the MGL problems.
What exactly do you do, what exactly goes wrong?
Will it work on generic hardware? Does it work okay
in EDR DOS or MS DOS 6 for example?

> ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/devel/demos/dos

> Japheth also reported problems with restoring interrupt vectors:
> http://www.drdosprojects.de/forum/drp_forum/posts/4124.html

That is a very interesting suggestion. Japheth writes that DOS
should hook int 19 and remove its own handlers if int 19 is
triggered. Int 19 is what a "FDAPM HOTBOOT" would call, too.

We can definitely tell FreeDOS to do as MS DOS 7 does (remove
interrupt handlers, STACKS, and move back EBDA) but I would
like to know how well this works in the big picture: Many TSRs
and drivers also modify interrupt vectors, so a hotboot (which
means "only reload kernel, do not go through BIOS reboot code")
is still quite likely to fail. As said, keep me updated on it.

> FreeDOS also quite slow copies files (read "speed daemon" related
> posts on EDR-DOS lists)

Kernel related or related to the COPY or XCOPY commands only?
Which side of the process is slow, reading or writing?

> > you did not say which FAT32 tools are missing.
> Mainly good fast and nice scandisk

You forgot that we have no scandisk at all. In my opinion,
scandisk is only eye-candy and the ability to undo changes.

For the rest, it is very similar feature-set-wise to our
dosfsck: A fast filesystem check and (optionally interactive)
repairs for the filesystem. Dosfsck has a "simulate changes
before writing" mode, which could be modified into a
"create an undo file before writing" mode a la scandisk.

I hope that fat32 support and speed of dosfsck are as good
as you expect. With a bit of a cache loaded, the speed is
really nice for my own taste already :-).

Eric