On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Jim Hall wrote:

> This has always been my vision: Post "1.0", I'd also like to see more
> utilities to make it possible to replicate some of the advanced
> features we take for granted in modern operating systems, such as
> Linux. I want to revive GNUish and replicate a modern UNIX-like
> environment under DOS. I want DOS to be usable by everyone, not just
> DOS geeks. Linux users should feel at home. I'd like FreeDOS to appeal
> to Windows and Mac geeks, but for that we'd need to have a strong GUI.
> I'd like to see us push forward on one or two GUIs, and let that
> friendly competition drive new features. Sort of like how KDE and
> GNOME pushed each other to make the Linux desktop easier to use. I
> think we can do something like that for FreeDOS.

The main missing thing is, imho, a good, free shell.  And whatever that
ms_sh thing is, it's not free as in open.  (Works well, but it just ain't
it.)

I've had my own similar project, basing it not on GNU, but a mix of
Heirloom Toolchest and BSD, these are leaner and meaner, more
selfcontained, a little easier to work with.  It boots, but that's about
it, though it has a handful of useful tools.  Certainly no gnuish, and my
sh sucks, but it was the only one I could get running.

I could prolly try to dig up the sources...not that it would be of any use
to anyone...

-uso.
(whose name is on the cpio in gnuish)

There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty:
   Soap, Ballot, Jury, Ammo.
   Use in that order, starting now.
     -- Attr. to Ed Howdershelt