Hi all,

> I added help screen, possibility to scan other LPT ports and a little
> modyfied delay routine. For help screen write lpttest /? link:
> http://www.laaca-mirror.ic.cz/lpttest.zip
(compiles with TASM and TLINK)

I have thrown Michael Devore's NoMySo Perl script at the source
and made a NASM version for people who prefer free assemblers :-)

http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/by-others/lpttest-nasm.zip

In addition, I messed with the code and modified a few things:

- made the code nicely indented for easy reading
- buffer is in BSS again now (and btw, 1024h is not 1024 ;-)
  so binary size is 2 kilobytes again now
- multi line strings are only one string, not multi

- modified the port number / address display, new hex2str
- modified int2str for fun, now uses 1x div and 2x aam ;-)
- there is no lpt4, only lpt1 to lpt3. suggestion: probe all
  printers and ignore command line? depends on whether and
  how you want to use lpttest in batch files...
- commented out the "out baseport,4" for testing. GOOD: this
  means you no longer print a diamond in dosemu and non-pnp
  printers. BAD: it is quite possible that some printers now
  no longer show their pnp string, please test
- modified the delay and delay calibration functions: now
  waits 0.5 sec for calibration and 1 msec for each delay,
  using a 48 bit counter. Note: In dosemu on my 2 GHz PC,
  1 msec is only 600 delay loop iterations (because the loop
  contains I/O port access which is slow). Suggestion: use a
  32 bit counter and calibrate during only 0.054 sec?

I hope you like the changes, Laaca :-).

As said, open issues are:

- tune delay handling further?
- make "show for all printers" the default?
- maybe even remove command line handling?

- out baseport,4 should be re-enabled after somebody figures
  out how to check for ieee1284 printer presence before that

The last point has most priority now if you ask me :-).

Eric