Hi Imre,

> Does anybody know what the status is of long file name support in
> freecom.  There is absolutely a compile time option you can use,
> but does it work (well)?

FreeCOM 0.84 arguably has far too many changes with far too little
review (compared to 0.82pl3) but those changes do mean that it has
LFN support all over the place and this LFN support is also compiled
into the default binary used in FreeDOS 1.0 :-). If you want to do
some testing: Try if both doslfn and shsucdxes cdrom-lfn work okay,
and try if FreeCOM works okay in situations where some drives have
LFN and others have not. For example in dosemu, you can enable LFN
for the virtual / redirect / Linux directory based drives, without

Everybody else is invited to test, too.

I think you can "SET LFN=N" (or Y) to dynamically block and re-enable
the built-in LFN support of FreeCOM 0.84 ...

Something which definitely does need testing: Sometimes FreeCOM 0.84
just stops running external commands (opening com / exe / ...) while
internal commands like DIR keep working. Nobody has yet found a way
to force this bug to trigger, but when it happens, the only way to
get out of the situation is to reboot, so we should really fix it.

Eric