I think you have two options:

1. process the man files using roff, with output as text. I wouldn't
strip linefeeds - instead, I'd convert the ^H output so that bold and
underlined text appear as normal text (the FreeDOS MORE program and
other DOS "pager" programs do not interpret ^H backspacing to do bold
and underline.) I had once written a tool to automatically strip out
backspaced characters (for example, "_^HH_^He_^Hl_^Hl_^Ho" becomes
"Hello") but it's not hard to write your own. As you suggest, the
output from this could go in the "DOC" folder with the other READMEs.

2. groff has an option to generate html output (not sure if djgpp's
groff can do this, though.) So I suppose you could process the man
files using groff's html output generator, and include those as "html
Help" pages.

-jh