Hello,

2011/6/30 Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>:
>> I remember DISPLAY 2.0 being troublesome with regard to UMBs, but that
>> was years ago.
>
> It still needs a lot of unnecessary UMB room free to load there, e.g.
> 64 kb or some fairly high amount. And you may even have to explicitly
> mention it. I forget exactly and always (I think) loaded it low. Well,
> I'd have to check ....

If only I could assume that there's ALWAYS XMS ;)))

Ok, I'm revealing something about the next version (if I happen to
find some spare time for it): There'll be a DISPLAYX.COM file that
will refuse to load if there's no XMS. But if there is, then the
maximally needed RAM will be of about 10-11 KB, thus the UMB trouble
is gone.

Could it be made even smaller? I have ideas to do so, but not so much
motivation:
- if I can asume everyone has a VGA card and stays in text mode
- if I can asume that (J)EMM386 has the ROM= option implemented
- ...

>> NLSFUNC seems to be able to take COUNTRY.SYS file as an argument/parameter
>
> Yes, but it's hardcoded to a specific DISPLAY version, I think. Like I
> said, I never heavily used it (COUNTRY + NLSFUNC) since it lacked
> support for 853 anyways.

Yes. The payload for being DISPLAY a TSR and not a device driver is
that MODE and NLSFUNC are FD-DISPLAY specific (and tied to versions
whenever int 2FH changed).
I intended to turn it into a device driver once it is stable, but I
don't really know if people prefer a TSR or device driver.

>>> Recompile?  :-)   Or just include a different editor (I'd cram TDE, if
>>> possible, or EZEDIT if not).
>> Pretty stuck at using EDIT as a baseline replacement of MS EDIT. Other
>> programs always welcome as extension.
>
> Well, the 64 kb file limit was a bit of a put-off for me, personally.
> Maybe good for average use, I guess (just not my favorite preference).

If only I could asume that there is ALWAYS a DPMI...  ;)))

Well, from the above you see how much one would need a 386+ and VGA
card as a minimum. Would be nice to know how many real FreeDOS users
do not meet any of these two requirements.

Aitor