Hi Eric,

2011/7/10 Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>:

> Hi Aitor, Rugxulo,
>
>>> It still needs a lot of unnecessary UMB room free to load there, e.g.
>>> 64 kb or some fairly high amount. And you may even have to explicitly
>>> mention it. I forget exactly and always (I think) loaded it low. Well,
>>> I'd have to check ....
>>
>> If only I could assume that there's ALWAYS XMS ;)))
>
> As far as I remember, the main problem was that you did not want
> to require DOS 4.0 or newer and therefore first allocated MANY
> buffers, then reducing them. With DOS 4.0 or newer, can simply
> check at run-time whether the user-selected amount of buffers
> will fit into the available memory, even for device drivers :-)

You remember wrong.
It's simply that if the reallocate call fails, DISPLAY won't load at
all, and that is not desirable.

>> Could it be made even smaller? I have ideas to do so, but not so much
>> motivation:
>> - if I can asume everyone has a VGA card and stays in text mode
>
> You cannot assume that, but you could reload fonts from disk
> after the user returns to text mode. Would of course need some
> extra care to avoid doing that at the wrong moment but I guess
> reentrancy is less of an issue as you hook int 10, not int 21.

Change codepage can be called anytime. I can't just assume the
disk/file will be there to reload.

Anyway Eric, I won't discuss anymore about this. Be it public or
private, it is boring to be talking about the same issues once and
once again.
If instead of talking you send me some code that works the way it is
expected, I may merge it into the sources.

>>> Well, the 64 kb file limit was a bit of a put-off for me, personally.
>>> Maybe good for average use, I guess (just not my favorite preference).
>>
>> If only I could asume that there is ALWAYS a DPMI...  ;)))
>
> There already are TDE, SETEDIT and others for 386 systems,
> so I would keep EDIT free of that. You could swap buffers
> of EDIT to XMS when XMS is available (detect at run-time).

I know. But it's a lot more complex ;)

Aitor