Op 30-7-2011 15:29, dos386 schreef:
>> I tested UPX on one of the slowest machines that I have that has a hard
>> drive.  On a PCjr with a NEC V20 and XT-IDE adapter UPX compressed
>> executables worked, but they took noticeably longer to start up:
>> FTPSRV: original was 2 seconds, with UPX is 5 seconds
>> PING: original was 1 second, with UPX is 2 seconds
>
> Got the answer ???
>
> - LZMA decompressible on 8086: YES
> - LZMA vs NRV/UCL: LZMA (much?) slower decompression
> - Ultra-Brutal-Effect: much slower compression,
>    no performance penalty on decompression (?)

Haven't got the answer, sorry.
Compression scheme wasn't specified.

* My general use is '-8086 -best'
* Ruxgulo mentions '-ultra-brute -lzma -8086'
* Whichever options Mike used is unclear, maybe indeed equal added
decompression time (despite lowered read time).
Not sure if the decompression is caused by limited CPU power, limited
amount of memory, bandwidth, or whatever.