Hi,

> Here it is (w/ srcs and one-byte diff):
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/XFDISK.ZIP?attredirects=0&d=1

Nice size for a patch ;-)

>> As for UPX terms, I could try LZMA and Ultra Brute settings indeed,
>> but
>> wonder what effect (decompression possible at all? loading times?
>> memory
>> uses? does resulting binary work?) they have on ancient machines.
>
> I think XFDISK, even at the best of times, only works on 286s on up.
> But I used "--ultra-brute --lzma --8086" anyways

I got the impression that lzma and ultra-brute are very slow
to create and that lzma will use more CPU and RAM even when
unpacking... So I would probably settle with something more
humble, something like upx --8086 --best *.com which should
still be quite decent in size reduction in particular when
compressing typical relatively small DOS apps like we do.

Eric

PS: The above is based on intuition, not research.