Op 5-9-2011 20:39, iw2evk schreef:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NdisWrapper
>
> why possible in linux and not under DOS?

Because of manpower, working in protected mode etc? DOS is a realmode
operating system. Best option I know is shims around ODI/NDIS drivers.
Alternatively, have fun with http://ipxe.org

> I suppose only because no one want to start a project for free..

People are more than welcome to start writing IDE/ASPI driver, an UNDI
packet driver, specific network card packet drivers, drivers for sound
cards etc. Drivers are usually written according to a specification.
Extracting a specification from an implemented (open source) driver
*stack* is quite difficult.

> Linux have a developpers comunity capable to work in team, dos have "single
> volonteers" approach.

Big corporations funding work seems to help as well :)
We tinker around with a dieing platform (DOS under UEFI? DOS under Apple
machines? DOS under non-x86 architectures like ARM?). No bad thing, it
makes a nice hobby and in sometimes there are actual usecases still.