Le 05/09/2011 20:52, Bernd Blaauw a écrit :
> Op 5-9-2011 20:39, iw2evk schreef:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NdisWrapper
>>
>> why possible in linux and not under DOS?
>
> Because of manpower, working in protected mode etc? DOS is a realmode
> operating system. Best option I know is shims around ODI/NDIS drivers.

More likely due to threading model (DOS doesn't have any).

> Alternatively, have fun with http://ipxe.org

Other options which might have some NIC drivers:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
http://www.coreboot.org/

> People are more than welcome to start writing IDE/ASPI driver, an UNDI
> packet driver, specific network card packet drivers, drivers for sound
> cards etc. Drivers are usually written according to a specification.
> Extracting a specification from an implemented (open source) driver
> *stack* is quite difficult.

Again I suggest getting in touch with Rosetta OS:
http://code.google.com/p/rosetta-os/

RTEMS landed there some info about NIC drivers ported from BSD:
http://code.google.com/p/rosetta-os/wiki/RTEMSLibBSDNicDrivers

Not sure the threading model used will help porting though.

François.