That's what I saw at some point on the freedos website:
http://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/news/2014/12/working-towards-freedos-12/

 > Maybe, I should just write it.

That would probably be the most efficient solution, yes. :)

Note, that I already put together a whole bootable CD (all_cd.iso) with
up to date packages of pretty much everything around. If only someone
would slap an installer on that, we'd have a 1.2 in no time.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1/repos/

Mateusz