Hi Mateusz,

>    - the tricky part might be to make it possible to install FreeDOS on
> a system where there is already something (ie. multiboot), and make it
> actually bootable, without breaking the other stuff. Personally I
> wouldn't object if FreeDOS would just trash whatever there is already

Well that sounds dangerous. And to be honest, some GPARTED / Linux
boot disk can do repartitioning without data loss and with extra
user friendliness much better than any automated DOS batch script.

>    - about RAMDisk: it might come handy indeed, but remember that
> FreeDOS should still be able to install on old machines, ie. from a
> floppy, on a 8086 CPU, with no XMS, and only 256K of conventional memory
> or so. This highly limits the amount of fancy stuff one can do.

My personal opinion is that on 8086, you should rather use a floppy
distro like RUFFIDEA or BREZEL which has the "base" category already
pre-installed on one or a few floppies and you just XCOPY that to a
disk of your choice manually. Imagine how many floppies and spanned
zip files across multiple floppies a full install on 8086 would be.

On computers which support booting from CD, DVD, USB, SD... You can
almost always assume that enough RAM for a RAMDISK is available :-)

>   - once installed, it would be *really* nice if the system could use
> FDNPKG to install additional packages right away (if hardware allows it
> of course, this wouldn't matter on pre-386 anyway since FDNPKG is 32bit
> anyway). Meaning that whatever the installer installs, should be
> installed in the 'standard' way so FDNPKG can see it later.

I strongly agree with that: On 386+ computers, it is much nicer to
use FreeDOS package style zip files and a standard installer. Even
on 286, I would at least install by unzipping from standard zips,
if the package manager is not for 286. Installing by XCOPY should
be limited to really old computers or special cases...

Cheers, Eric