Hi, nitpicking and ideas coming up :-)

> This gives the user the ability to partition and format elsewhere.
> But, you cannot do an install without the drive C:.

Actually a "live CD" mode would be nice. Give the user some menu
item to load a large ramdisk and install (with fdpkg / fdnpkg) a
bunch of DOS programs to the ramdisk, so the users can directly
enjoy a spontaneous DOS session without having to format away the
already existing OTHER operating systems on their computer.

Note that DOS lacks sufficiently powerful tools to resize other
partitions to ADD DOS without destroying other partitions, but
modern computers are so powerful that people can easily install
DOS to a completely empty VIRTUAL harddisk in a virtual machine

So we already have at least five use cases :-)

* install from floppy XCOPY style to pre-386 computers, allowing
  the user to later add packages in a more manual way via FDPKG

* install from CD / DVD / USB to completely empty (virtual) PC,
  making sure that there really is no danger to damage other OS

* install to ramdisk for a live CD session, possibly offering a
  choice between small and large selections of DOS packages

* install to existing formatted FAT C: partition, minimizing any
  damage to already existing contents of C: - in particular, ask
  the user whether SYS should overwrite the boot sector or if it
  should only provide a boot sector FILE that the (expert) user
  can add to their existing boot manager. Maybe also let users
  decide if they want autoexec / config to be replaced (with a
  non-destructive backup!) or if they want to use fdconfig.sys
  and fdauto to keep FreeDOS and ... DOS / Win config separate.

* install in a destructive way by partitioning and formatting if
  the user REALLY knows that this is the right thing to do... Do
  not try to decide about those things automatically! Not even
  Ubuntu (which tries to have installation for dummies) does it.
  As far as I remember, Ubuntu offers "install to free space" if
  the user has provided free space (e.g. really empty harddisk,
  or by shrinking Windows from within Windows manually before),
  "custom install" (with a nice gparted style partition resizer
  and editor) and "install instead of whatever was there before,
  destroying existing data" (but clearly warning about risks).

I am sure I have forgotten many cases and issues, but have a look
at the OLD FreeDOS installers to see what and how they did, plus
have a look at the old discussions about the topic :-) Our older
installers are from the time when Windows (e.g. XP) still could
be installed on FAT partitions, so they for example tried to see
if you had Windows on your C: drive. If yes, they tried to add
FreeDOS to the built-in boot menu of Windows and tried to use a
DOS specific set of config files without damaging Windows files.

>>> As mentioned earlier, computers older than 386 cannot normally boot
>>> from anything large and portable (CD, DVD, USB stick) so you would
>>> only install a basic DOS on them, maybe simply by hand: Take some
>>> floppy with pre-installed FreeDOS, FORMAT, XCOPY and SYS, done :-)
>>
>> Even a lot of 486s can't do El Torito.  My 486/133 couldn't.

For even more nitpicking, there are some fancy tricks and floppy
based boot managers to boot from CD / DVD or USB on 386+ PC and
people even managed to connect CD / DVD drives to 8086... But is
this worth big special efforts? Probably not: 386 owners can go
the "floppy basic install, then use fdnpkg" route :-) They can
use fdnpkg and the ZIP packages from any normal "if you could
boot from CD drive" install CD, without booting from that CD,
after finding & installing ancient CD drivers for their drive.

Cheers, Eric