> On Sep 10, 2015, at 2:51 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr> wrote:
>>
>>   - about RAMDisk: it might come handy indeed, but remember that
>> FreeDOS should still be able to install on old machines, ie. from a
>> floppy, on a 8086 CPU, with no XMS, and only 256K of conventional memory
>> or so. This highly limits the amount of fancy stuff one can do.
>
> You can use TDSK (Turbo Disk) to use convention memory for RAM disk.

That would be fine. Even a 1 or 2 Kbyte RAM disk would be sufficient
to pipe the data around in the installer.

> However, I do think it's better to get "something" out, even if it's
> 386+ and needs CD, rather than trying to do literally everything by
> yourself (with few testers) in the vain hope that it's still 8086 and
> floppy friendly. (I'm totally sympathetic to 8086, but it's very very
> hard to stay 100% compatible unless you write or compile everything
> yourself, which is impossible.)

At present, I’m making it work either on a completely read-only setup or a
system that can generate temp files for piping data. I will leave it up to
who builds the distort release to which way it works.