Hi, at the risk of being controversial:

>> I do know that the new version needs to support 16bit
>> legacy systems.
>
> The installer certainly do. FDNPKG being 16bit sure would be "cool",
> but I don't see it happening any time soon.

IF you can boot from CD then you have 32 bit in 99% of the cases anyway.

IF you can NOT boot from CD then you almost always want a floppy distro,
not some fancy shiny installer... Just my personal experience here ;-)

For the 16 bit case, I suggest a boot floppy with the necessary tools to
unpack zip files. Plus some floppies with all of BASE pre-installed, for
XCOPY style install. Plus some instructions on where to get additional
zip files and instructions for gaining access to the CD and/or ISO file.

That way, people can easily install BASE on their 16 bit machine and you
give them the possibility to extend either to full (if they have CD-ROM
or can use another operating system to copy the ISO or contents of that
to their 16 bit machine) or at least by individual packages. The install
of extra packages can be by a 16 bit FDPKG or FDNPKG if available or by
a 16 bit version of UNZIP as rough approximation otherwise. If neither
of the 2 is available, you still have BASE by simply XCOPYing floppies.

Cheers, Eric