> On Oct 20, 2015, at 4:32 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hi, at the risk of being controversial:
>
>>> I do know that the new version needs to support 16bit
>>> legacy systems.
>>
>> The installer certainly do. FDNPKG being 16bit sure would be "cool",
>> but I don't see it happening any time soon.
>
> IF you can boot from CD then you have 32 bit in 99% of the cases anyway.
>
> IF you can NOT boot from CD then you almost always want a floppy distro,
> not some fancy shiny installer... Just my personal experience here ;-)

I’ve seen 3 different 32-bit machines that had CD or DVD drives that absolutely
would not or could not boot from the disc. One with add-on card and IDE-DVD,
one that CD boot was not listed, and one that would boot some discs but
not most. :)

> For the 16 bit case, I suggest a boot floppy with the necessary tools to
> unpack zip files. Plus some floppies with all of BASE pre-installed, for
> XCOPY style install. Plus some instructions on where to get additional
> zip files and instructions for gaining access to the CD and/or ISO file.
>
> That way, people can easily install BASE on their 16 bit machine and you
> give them the possibility to extend either to full (if they have CD-ROM
> or can use another operating system to copy the ISO or contents of that
> to their 16 bit machine) or at least by individual packages. The install
> of extra packages can be by a 16 bit FDPKG or FDNPKG if available or by
> a 16 bit version of UNZIP as rough approximation otherwise. If neither
> of the 2 is available, you still have BASE by simply XCOPYing floppies.

I don’t think there will be a floppy only release. The installer could be
tweaked to manage it. But, I’m pressed on time as it is.

(This is not directed at you personally Eric. I am just lazy and didn’t
feel like starting another posted message.)

I keep seeing everybody refer to 32-bit packages and FD(N)PKG.
I  don’t think using them alone would be keeping with what Jim
desires for the OS and I have not made any effort to incorporate them
into the installation process.

However, that being said, the new Installer is very, very, very flexible
and super extensible. So, there is no reason that a down the
road, logic could be added to it to distinguish between 16 & 32 bit
and chose the appropriate “best supported” method of installation.

(this is why there is a stripped down rough draft 300 line installer
manual).