Hi Eric,

1M is a pretty standard size for floppies. I have a box or two of these
myself. The proper appellation would be "double density" (as opposed to
"high density", which are twice as big). The only visual hint is that DD
floppies have only one hole (the "read-only" window), while HD floppies
have two ("read-only" window + HD capacity hole).

DD floppies are 1M raw, 720K formatted in size. They are very common on
pre-386 machines. FreeDOS supports them without any troubles, although I
had to instruct FORMAT with a specific switch to format them correctly
(FORMAT /F:720 A:) - but this might be because I used a drive that was
1.44 capable to format them. Maybe on a native 720K drive this would not
be required.

Also, I heard that if such DD disk is formatted as 1.44M, it will likely
will very unreliably, and reformatting it to 720K won't fix it, so it's
basically good for trash (but I have never experienced this myself, I
always format my floppies according to their specs).

Mateusz