About codepage handling: no need to do any font design work, nor any
other complicated stuff. Multi-lang support existed in DOS for decades.
FreeDOS comes with a set of fonts already (technically: codepage files),
that can be loaded via MODE.

Ideally, if a multi-language installer should be considered, it would
boil down to:
1. ask the user what language he wants right at start
2. set LANG approprietly
3. execute a few commands, example for PL:

SET LANG=PL
KEYB pl,991,C:\FREEDOS\BIN\KEYBOARD.SYS
DISPLAY CON=(EGA,437,1)
MODE CON CP PREPARE=((991) C:\FREEDOS\CPI\EGA10.CPX)
MODE CON CP SELECT=991

And then any possible national characters can be used.
These lines should ideally land in the newly-created autoexec.bat, if
things would want to be consistent.

Note, that without codepage change, even the more 'latin' languages will
end up wrong, for example french will be misrepresented, and some of the
glyphs will appear as garbage on the screen, since the "native" CP437
does not cover all necessary French signs - same goes for Spanish,
Portuguese, and probably other languages as well.

Mateusz