On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Tom, Maarten, Jerome and Rugxulo,
>
> >> I emailed with Jim the other day. He is extremely busy at present.
>
> > fine. we should look for a new boss with more time to care.
>
> Not THAT, permanently, busy - Jim is busy at the MOMENT with some
> current news :-) Regarding Maarten's mail: No need for complicated
> excuses... Simply don't send patches for kernel and command.com: At
> least I am happy with your help such as translations or testing :-)

Yes, it seems I over-committed myself to projects at around the same time I
changed jobs. Oops. I'm busy at work, but also busy with a bunch of other
things that I thought I'd have the time to do.

> I think it is safe to assume that "open and license-safe" are good
> choices. Also it is safe to assume that "mimicks a MS DOS feature"
> is a good reason to be in BASE. However, I think this can be seen
> relaxed regarding drivers: If it mimicks a MS "DOS" 7 feature such
> as LFN, it is useful to people who know "DOS" as part of Windows.
>
> And if it is a driver for something that did not even exist when
> MS DOS existed, such as USB or DVD drives, it should also be BASE
> because using your hardware seems to be a basic thing for me. Of
> course I would not make camera drivers base, because MS DOS never
> shipped with video editing or chat software by default :-)

Yes, if it replicated original MS-DOS functionality, it should be in Base.
This includes programs like APPEND, ASSIGN, ATTRIB, CHKDSK, … UNDELETE,
UNFORMAT, XCOPY, … etc. We've always been very careful about extending the
"Base" list, but over time we have added one or two things that weren't in
the original MS-DOS. I prefer this list not grow too much. Extra items can
go in other sets, or just a single "Extras" software set if we don't want
to continue "Devel" and "Edit" and other sets.

Jim