Hi,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

>> devel\fpc
>
> Only 2.6.4. 3.0.0 requires LFN or an extensive port.

No, it doesn't need LFNs for the bare minimum cmdline compiler (no
IDE). I'm not even sure the IDE needs LFN, only some rare third-party
units (perhaps) that most people don't directly use.

The installer sees "readme-jvm.txt" inside BASEDOS.ZIP and mistakenly
assumes it needs LFNs, thus you have to manually "check" [x] even the
most basic, required package because of that one "bug." Feel free to
"zip -d basedos.zip *readme-jvm.txt", and see that it changes.

I've tested BASEDOS.ZIP without LFNs, it works fine. Literally, the
only LFN file (AFAIK) is that one "readme-jvm.txt", which is hardly
useful. The minimum compiler *should* (and does) work with SFNs.

> Yes, there are many more packages on his repo. But, I don't think Jim wants
> everything on his repo to be installed when the user selects ALL. His repo
> contains about 500mb of zip files. The current USB stick image that only
> contained packages for BASE and ALL was about 75MB. A lot of which was FPC
> and OW.

IIRC, the old FPC.ZIP is 36 MB, which is just ridiculous. There aren't
many (if any) active FPC users (for FreeDOS) besides maybe Laaca, so
it's certainly not worth polluting the default download just for that.
Laaca already has a working compiler (or two), so he doesn't need FD
1.2 at all. So it's somewhat unfair to bloat up the image (and
download bandwidth) to 75 MB when it could be half of that. Let FPC
users grab it manually outside of the distro itself.

I hate to say that, and maybe you'll disagree, but it's just too big.
Now, we could include a simple (no IDE!) FPC compiler package. As
mentioned, the only absolutely mandatory minimum files are (AFAIK):
install.exe, install.dat, basedos.zip, aslddos.zip (but even that one
is semi-optional nowadays).

The problem is that end users demand IDEs and debuggers and lots of
units and full sources, and that is tedious and error-prone to
include. But again, we don't have enough interest to even include FPC
at all. So just save the space and dump it. Let interested users find
it manually (as they've already done). It's not "BASE", it's not that
crucial.

Just my two cents, I know you'll probably have other ideas.