On Fri, 14 Sep 2018, Rugxulo wrote:

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:01:39 -0500
From: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>
To: freedos-devel <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Freedos-devel] FreeCOM 0.84-pre6 prerelease

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018, 8:49 AM Seth Simon <sethsi...@sdf.org> wrote:

In MS-DOS 6.22, neither "if exist ::\nul echo exist" nor "if exist Q:\nul
echo exist" (where Q is a drive that doesn't exist) will cause anything to
be echoed.

I know this is a common DOS idiom, but keep in mind that I don't recall
this kludge working with XP's CMD. So it's a bit brittle (like all such
similar tricks). But ....

But in all 3 of commandg.com, commandt.com, and commandw.com, both of those
commands will echo "exist". But it's not a regression because 0.84-pre2
does the same thing (the FreeCom tests were done under FreeDOS, not MS-DOS).

Ah, then this is that same bug/regression in kernel 2042 (only). Try older
2041, it should work fine there. (I'm pretty sure Jeremy already knows
about it.)

I meant that I did the former test on an actual, real MS-DOS 6.22 boot diskette, not XP. But indeed, as you said, the bug is in the kernel- I can confirm that the 0.84-pre6 shell works as expected under the 2041 kernel.