Hi,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:59 AM Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> > Here's the DropBox link (again), in case it wasn't obvious:
>
> > * https://www.dropbox.com/s/6whjgmb9xhdgw29/metados-0.7.zip?dl=0
>
> how in god name would that be obvious?

I already mentioned it explicitly. In fact, you asked me whether I was
testing the public release or a private, unfinished one. So, just to
be obvious, I uploaded it for you.

> are we all required to note all your more or less old emails?

Since you were the one expressing interest, then yes, I expected you
to remember and download the new version from DropBox. The fact that
you forgot or didn't care is fine, but it's not my fault. Like I said,
I don't expect you to worry much with this. But there indeed have been
regressions since the ancient 2006 TC build, which is why I still
stick to using that old one by default.

But yes, it's very spaghetti .BAT scripting, so I don't blame you for
being confused. It wasn't well-polished, and it wasn't really meant to
be super user-friendly at all. "Tests" are just there for fun
diagnostics, not necessarily for real work.

> anyway, I downloaded this, and replaced the 32-bit system\unzip.exe
> with 16-bit unzip.exe from
> ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/msdos/unz600x3.exe
> which makes everything behave much better under VirtualBox.

Presumably QEMU (and VBox, which is derived from it) are moreso
optimized for Linux than DOS. And since Linux is always pmode, that
part is probably super slow (since DOS switches back and forth). I
don't know the details, but that's my blind guess.

But I had to use 32-bit Unzip for LFN support, which was needed by
some things (e.g. "tests turbopas"). So "maybe" you can recompile
Unzip16 with _WATCOM_LFN_ or whatever (I forget), but IIRC, that only
halfway worked since they (at that time) never finalized support for
that feature (yet).

> then I created 3 instances of this machine, replacing command.com
> by commandT/W/G.com in https://github.com/FDOS/freecom/releases/tag/com084pre6
>
> everything else identical.
> tested on Windows-32, VirtualBox, 256 MB machine size.

Which VBox? 5.2.20 is latest. (Not that it should matter, but
sometimes it does.)

Also, 512 MB is a better size (for some very few, maybe two??, tests),
but overall I "normally" only use 128 MB.

> the idea is that they should behave identical. They don't.

> here's a watcom bug:
>
> start the machine.
> run
>    TESTS JED
>
> this should download a lot of stuff, build JED (whatever that is), and keep
> the
> machine busy for 10 minutes.

JED is a text editor (loosely, Emacs clone).

> FreeCOM-watcom  will stop fairly quickly with
>
> unzip: cannot find any matches for wildcard specification fil4*.zip
> and short after abort the build.

I'd have to run that test again (which is not top priority at the
moment), but that's clearly DJGPP FileUtils. (Back before File- +
Text- + Shell- were merged into CoreUtils. Yeah, DJGPP is somewhat
antiquated.)

> strange side effect: after this test, the command
>
>    a:>copy commandW.com system\command.com
> results in
>    the COPY destination must not contain plus ('+') characters.
>
> this might be easier to locate

I really wasn't expecting you to directly run all "tests". Most of
what I ran did seem to work in latest prerelease (GNUC build). Indeed
there are still obscure bugs.