FreeDOS does only hangs for a little bit on the message.
My version is "0.84-pre2" the version that ships with the standard USB install.
So the problem does not appear to be delay().
Maybe the problem is nosound()?
Maybe the keyboard has an error? or the computer itself?
I can write a test program if needs be, later on today.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 9:40 AM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> In short, your FreeCOM beeps are infinitely long.
> As you saym beep_l.c and beep_n.c implements them
> as beep_low() and beep() as follows:
>
> void beep_low(void)
> {
>   sound(900);
>   delay(200); /* 400 */
>   nosound();
>   delay(100);
> }
>
> void beep(void)
> {
>   sound(900);
>   delay(200); /* 400 */
>   nosound();
>   delay(100);
> }
>
> However, FreeCOM also uses a delay in cgetchar_timed(int secs)
> and in hangForever(). The latter is only used as crash handler.
>
> The former has something to do with the F8 or /Y or CALL /Y mode
> and FreeDOS 2025 or newer:
>
> "Press F8 for trace mode, or F5 to bypass" (for example autoexec)
>
> is supposed to be shown for at most 3 seconds. Unless you press
> a key immediately, it does delay(100) between attempts to check
> whether you have yet pressed a key. So if delay() itself hangs
> on your computer, FreeCOM should also hang at that prompt, too?
> Which exact version of FreeCOM are you using? See "VER" :-)
>
> Regards, Eric

Johnpaul T. Humphrey