Hi :-)

> Just a bit of FYI despite the project being nowhere near ready to go
> as of yet: there is a small group of us working on moving DOS into
> the 32-bit realm in the form of the [Night
> Kernel](https://groups.google.com/g/night-dos-kernel). As part of
> that journey, we eventually want a compatibility layer to make
> running Windows 3.x executables possible.

How does that differ from http://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/
which is based on the assumption that running the whole kernel
in protected mode makes protected mode apps using DOS extenders
a bit faster? Which barely seems to be the case, even with the
DOS extender layer inside the kernel?

Of course it can be fun to write a protected mode OS from scratch
if you like a challenge. Plus dosemu / dosemu2 show that extending
DOS yourself can make it easier to run Windows 3.x. Note that this
is about running Windows itself, not about running apps FOR Windows
directly inside DOS.

For the latter, you can use the HX RT system by Japheth:

old website: https://www.japheth.de/HX.html

old version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hx-dos/

new version: https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/HX

Happy testing :-) Eric