On Friday, December 25, 2020 8:46 AM, Eric Auer e.a...@jpberlin.de wrote:

> Hi :-)
>
>> Just a bit of FYI despite the project being nowhere near ready to go
>> as of yet: there is a small group of us working on moving DOS into
>> the 32-bit realm in the form of the NightKernel. As part ofthat journey, we
>> eventually want a compatibility layer to make
>> running Windows 3.x executables possible.
>
> How does that differ fromhttp://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/
> which is based on the assumption that running the whole kernel
> in protected mode makes protected mode apps using DOS extenders
> a bit faster?

It's probably not, much. Night and FreeDOS-32 are both spare-time projects done
for fun with the ultimate goal of running DOS software in 32-bit Protected
Mode. However, I would say that Night most likely has a much more long-term
support cycle. This isn't a research project we're working on to be discarded
after it gets to some semblance of functionality... it will be developed and
matured way beyond that.

> Which barely seems to be the case, even with the
> DOS extender layer inside the kernel?
> Of course it can be fun to write a protected mode OS from scratch
> if you like a challenge.

That's a big driving force behind Night. :)

> Plus dosemu / dosemu2 show that extending
> DOS yourself can make it easier to run Windows 3.x. Note that this
> is about running Windows itself, not about running apps FOR Windows
> directly inside DOS.
> For the latter, you can use the HX RT system by Japheth:
> old website: https://www.japheth.de/HX.html
> old version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hx-dos/
> new version: https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/HX
> Happy testing :-) Eric