I second the OpenGEM sentiment. One of the things that makes DOS special to
me, is the simplicity, both of the API, and the usage. Lack of multitasking
is a plus for me, not a minus. (IIRC GEM supports some multitasking
though.) GEM does seem to have that simple, RAW, feel, and that's a good
thing IMHO.

I would probably not be too interested in a Windows 3.x clone, and I am
told that a lot of DOS admins hated it in the day, but it seems to fit the
spirit of the project more than oZone and seal, IMHO.
It still won't beat GEM though. :)

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/27/2020 11:10 AM, Jim Hall wrote:
>

> The challenge we've had is lots of developers have wanted to create a GUI
> for FreeDOS, but then they get halfway through building one before they
> realize it's a lot of work. And then the project gets dropped. That leaves
> us with things like SEAL and oZone that look cool - until you look more
> closely and find a bunch of features that don't work. Or it hogs memory. Or
> whatever. And that brings us to the conversation we started here some weeks
> ago about removing some stale packages, like SEAL and oZone. I don't want
> to get into another situation like that.
>
> Well, that is the problem with all of those GUI attempts. Some people have
> grand ideas and start to create some nice colored pictures but none of them
> is seriously thinking about (before they start coding!) on all the basics
> "behind the scenes", to make things really work and being useful.
> And when you point this out to them, they quickly get all defensive and
> pissy...
>
> IMHO, anyone who is REALLY interested to get  a working GUI for FreeDOS
> working, should much rather looking into participating in getting (Open)GEM
> a little bit more up to date.
>
> Ralf

>  Virus-free.
> <#m_6282456411182112900_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Johnpaul T. Humphrey