Hi Ladislav,

On 30 May 2021, at 23:44, Ladislav Lacina wrote:

Maybe is a time to consider whether to break the MS-DOS compatibility about handling the one physical diskette drive as two logical drives - A: and B:

It maybe had some reason in 1982 but now?

the same reason that was valid in 1982 is still valid today: machines with only one floppy drive and no harddisk. I have a couple of these machines where I use FreeDOS on (not only old machines, even some relatively modern machines where the hard drives have been removed).

The function is important when working in such environments.

However it might be possible to introduce a configuration option in config.sys that disables this function if users wish (or even inhibit the phantom drive B: by default in case FreeDOS detects at least one usable hard-drive partition during boot-up).

Greetings

Carsten