On Mon, 31 May 2021, Eric Auer wrote:

PS: FreeDOS does not include a DRIVER.SYS driver, or feature.
That was a very ancient MS DOS feature which let you override
BIOS based detection of floppy drives and their geometry, see

http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~bse26236/batutil/help/DRIVER_S.HTM

Maybe we COULD add a config.sys command instead of a device=...
driver, but I do not know any hardware needing it? Basically, it
tells DOS a BIOS disk drive with any given CHS geometry exists.

That's what DRIVPARM is for. I used to use it on my old Tandy 1000HX because the firmware, being XT-class, reported the A drive as 360K when it was actually 720K.

DRIVER.SYS did the same thing but it created a virtual floppy drive with its own letter, and when that drive was accessed, it had DOS ask for a disk swap.

-uso.