There is supposedly a way to mount the virtual disk on macOS when it is
unmounted from the VM but I haven’t been able to get it to work. VB comes with
MacFuse for that purpose but have never been able to get it to work. Basically
it can’t find the MacFuse library.

I remember I tried doing assembly development using nasm in DOSBox but when I
compiled it would crash DOSBox so I gave up on it. Mostly VB works fine for me,
I do not need PC speaker support and I guess there is something in VB for
Linux that an do it. I saw it when I was looking into PC speaker support but
you might beed to have a PC speaker on your system to handle  it. It would be
cool if it could just emulate it and send it to with the audio interface.