Hi,

> On Jan 9, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Tyson Oswald <oswa...@charter.net> wrote:
>
> There is supposedly a way to mount the virtual disk on macOS when it is
> unmounted from the VM but I haven’t been able to get it to work. VB comes
> with MacFuse for that purpose but have never been able to get it to work.
> Basically it can’t find the MacFuse library.

There is and you don’t need anything special.

Basically, when you create the VM in VirtualBox or other system. You must pick
VMDK and DO NOT SPLIT and PRE-ALLOCATE disk space. Your VM will create two
files. One really small one called something.vmdk and another big one called
something-flat.vmdk. Once that is done, shutdown VirtualBox. Open Finder and
rename something-flat.vmdk to something-flat.img. The something.vmdk is just a
text configuration file. Open it in your favorite editor and change the entry
for something-flat.vmdk and change the extension to .img.

Then your all set. VirtualBox will use the renamed file and when it is not
running you can double click the img file in finder to mount it.

Not hard to do. Just need to pick the correct settings when creating the VM,
rename a file and change the config file.

> I remember I tried doing assembly development using nasm in DOSBox but when I
> compiled it would crash DOSBox so I gave up on it. Mostly VB works fine for
> me, I do not need PC speaker support and I guess there is something in VB for
>  Linux that an do it. I saw it when I was looking into PC speaker support but
> you might beed to have a PC speaker on your system to handle  it. It would be
> cool if it could just emulate it and send it to with the audio interface.

I use NASM all the time in DOSBox. Although for larger things or when I’m in a
hurry, I just use NASM on the Mac then run the executable in DOSBox.

NASM for the mac is fairly fast. NASM for DOS is very slow.

:-)

Jerome