On Sun, 16 Jan 2022, Jim Hall wrote:

I have a paper copy of a few original MS-DOS manuals. My MS-DOS 4
manual says the only separators allowed in a comment are whitespace
but didn't mention redirection. But the MS-DOS 5 manual specifically
says *not* to use redirection in REM.

So this was a known issue in MS-DOS. It was later fixed in the Windows
CMD prompt, but the feature exists in MS-DOS COMMAND. And I think it's
important to meet the features of MS-DOS.

And it's a weird one, because one would think that REM would ignore
the *rest* of the line, like any comment. And that was probably the
intent, but that's not how it was implemented. Instead, you get MS-DOS
behavior like this:

REM > file.txt

..and then you get a zero-length FILE.TXT.

So I think the feature should stay as-is in FreeDOS. We implemented
this just like MS-DOS did. And that's good.

(I quoted a scanned manual from PC DOS 2.00, which was the first version that supported I/O redirection. This behavior was documented there as well.)

-uso.