Hi,

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 1:07 PM Bernd Boeckmann via Freedos-devel
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> in the last two weeks I ported Free FDISK to Watcom C and started fixing the
> bugs people mentioned
> at the bttr forum and in the issue trackers.

Great news! Thanks a ton for your work on this.

BTW, it seems you still use NASM (instead of WASM). Seems redundant
(no offense).

> For people wanting to track the progress, I am doing the development at the
> following repository:
> https://github.com/boeckmann/fdisk.
>
> I will make merge requests to upstream https://github.com/fdos/fdisk in
> regular intervals
>
> If you want something to be changed please send me an e-mail. I will try to
> implement it if time permits it.

Is makefile.bor still maintained? Do you still (also) support building
it with that toolset (presumably freeware-ish TC++ 1.01 would work)?

* https://github.com/boeckmann/fdisk/blob/master/SOURCE/FDISK/MAKEFILE.BOR

1. Invoking TLINK with a toolset path is unnecessary. You can use
"tcc" (or bcc) to link as well.
2. You also don't need to manually create temporary linker response
files. (I forget exactly, but it's something like @&&^ ... ^ to do it
automatically.)

See here for an example:

*
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/asm/nasm/0.98.39/8086host/n16tcmak.zip

Regarding OpenWatcom:

* https://github.com/boeckmann/fdisk/blob/master/SOURCE/FDISK/MAKEFILE.WAT

1. Again, you don't need to manually create a temporary linker
response file. Try using "LD = *wlink" instead, it will automatically
handle long command lines.
2. "if exist *.OBJ @rm *.OBJ" is unnecessary, and you should be able
to delete multiple files with Wmake's built-in "rm", e.g. "rm -f *.obj
*.err *.lnk" with no error messages if not found.
3. Oh! And %UPX% is possibly a bad variable name since I think that's
what the environment variable is also named, so that will override any
internal makefile variable by default (if the user has set it). I
recommend "PACKER" and "PACKERFLAGS", but this is not majorly
important.

Again, here's an example "makefile.wcd" of mine (but ignore the older
Borland makefile in there):

*
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/asm/nasm/0.98.39/8086host/nasm16.zip