Hi,

I am so far through with the implementation of functionality I want to have in
version 1.4. I still have to test it properly and hopefully have a version that
can be included in the next FreeDOS monthly.

The current build, compiled with Open Watcom 1.9 for 8086, can be obtained from

https://nextcloud.iww.rwth-aachen.de/index.php/s/egSe4Jyj9zx72ag

FDISK now aligns all partitions to 4K if the configuration option ALIGN_4K=ON,
which is the default.

For backwards compatibility, ALIGN_4K=OFF restores the old behavior (cylinder
alignment). Then it also points out if an existing Extended Partition is not
aligned, but hopefully does not produce broken layouts anymore.

Furthermore, the LBA_MARKER option is new and ON by default. This replaces the
overflowed CHS values in the partition tables with 1023/254/63. LBA_MARKER=OFF
produces "correct" cylinder overflow.

FDISK should handle disks of up to 2TB correctly. Disks larger than that are
truncated to 2TB instead of some overflowed value.

Since the size calculation still runs on cylinder basis space is wasted here
and there. If one would like to turn this off one would have to change the
determination of the free memory areas to sector accuracy. That would be some
more work. I am not sure it is worth the effort.

EasyMBR is still in but disabled. Jerome has a ticket on that.

https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS/base/fdisk/-/issues/3

Obvious is the missing LBA support. Other than that, I didn't notice anything
major when I skimmed it. Does anyone have more details why it exactly was
deactivated in the past? If we don't fix it, I wouldn't link it into the binary
anymore.

Greetings, Bernd