Hi!

     [Looks like SF sometime eats my letters, so I repost diff file and
comments again, now in different letters. Also, there added two changes,
which I forget in previous letter, about TURBOC.CFG and KERNEL.CFG.]

     I test batch and make files both under OW12 and BC31 and have new
changes. Below full list of changes, new/updated entries are quoted.

- UTILS\RMFILES.BAT: for DEL added ">NUL" (this prevents showing names of
  deleted files under 4DOS/NDOS).
- UTILS\PROTO.BAT, UTILS\INDENT: removed.
>- UTILS\WLINKER.BAT: linker now called through CALL.
>- UTILS\WLINKER.BAT: instead redirection to WLINK, directives now passed
>  through @ option.

- all batch files now check if environment is enough; this prevents wrong
  actions in case of small environment.
>- *.BAT: %MAKE% now called through CALL; this allows to place into PATH
>  batch file instead utility itself.
- DEFAULT.BAT renamed to DEFAULTS.BAT, for all "call <batchfile>" added
  suffix .BAT; this solves compatability problem with 4DOS (where DEFAULT
  is a built-in command).
- CONFIG.B: added possibility to define librarian.
- CONFIG.B: added "MAKER -S" as choice for MAKE.
>- CONFIG.B: "::SET WATCOM=%WATCOM%" replaced back to "::SET WATCOM=c:\watcom".
- CLOBBER.BAT now uses CLEAN.BAT for its job; this eases to update cleaning
  code because no code duplication.

- MKFILES\*.MAK: removed space after "=" in macros definitions; this makes
  command lines shorter.
- common definitions from makefiles moved to MKFILES\GENERIC.MAK
  (directories) and CONFIG.B/DEFAULTS.BAT (LINK, NASM, LIBUTIL, etc).
- MKFILES\GENERIC.MAK: XCPU=86 and XFAT=32 are defined here, if environment
  doesn't contains these variables; this allows to reduce count of variables
  in environment.
>- MKFILES\WATCOM.MAK: removed INCLUDE and EDPATH macroses.
>- MKFILES\WATCOM.MAK: added option -d1 (to allow make listings with sources).

- KERNEL\MAKEFILE: removed unneccessary macroses.
>- KERNEL\MAKEFILE: PRODUCTION now depends from $(TARGET).sys (not from
>  KERNEL.SYS); list of object files now written to $(TARGET).LNK (not to
>  KERNEL.RES); all recompiled targets (including *.asm) now depends from
>  $(TARGET).LNK (not from $(CONFIGURATION)). This forces full recompilation
>  in case of another compiler, CPU or FAT supprot are selected.
>- KERNEL\MAKEFILE: $(TARGET).LNK now depends from configuration files, not
>  from object files and libraries; this allows to create $(TARGET).LNK file
>  once, not at each compilation.
>- KERNEL\KERNEL.CFG: removed.
>- KERNEL\TURBOC.CFG: removed redefinition of __STDC__.

PS: Most my utilities are called through batch files, not directly.
PPS: Kernel now may be recompiled by another compiler or with other target
options without calling "build -r" or "clobber" directly. Unfortunately,
other makefiles are not (yet) such smart.

PPPS: Bart! What the reason to use both `clean' and `clobber'?