Hi!

15-Июл-2004 20:44 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alain) wrote to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

A> Nathan Crawford escreveu:
>> To fix it, I changed the driver so that the disk operation was checked
>> for success, and if it failed, it first reset the drive with int 13
>> ax=0000, and then retried the read.  It would do this three times, or
>> until the operation succeeded.
A> I belive that what Nathan describes below is very close to what is
A> happening!

     No. FD already have retry logic. See dsk.c:LBA_Transfer(): there access
repeater up to 5 times (N_RETRY defined in device.h as 5), with fl_reset()
between tryings.

A> - if after the error, if I use the "a" option for abort, there is an
A> "out of memory error" before returning to command prompt.

     "Before returning to command prompt" from which program? Note: kernel
doesn't contains string "Out of memory".

A> - made this same test with MS-DOS 7.10 for comparisons

     And?

A> - If the motor has stopped, it waits a reasonable amout of time before
A> showing the error, if the motor is still running (faster retry) it is
A> faster. Delays are comparable between FD and M$.

     So, trouble not with FD? Another reason, that your hardware (drive,
chipset, cable) is broken.

A> - before the error FD makes a little more noise (head movements) than
A> M$, probably a longer head movement or twice the same movement.

     Probably, because more retries (5 instead 3).

A> Can someone send me a debug enabled KERNEL.SYS please? I believe I can
A> dig out some information with it.

     I already do this. Isn't you receive k-debug.sys? Just rename it to
kernel.sys.