Arkady V.Belousov escreveu:

A> I belive that what Nathan describes below is very close to what is
A> happening!
     No. FD already have retry logic. See dsk.c:LBA_Transfer(): there access
repeater up to 5 times (N_RETRY defined in device.h as 5), with fl_reset()
between tryings.

Ok :(

A> - if after the error, if I use the "a" option for abort, there is an
A> "out of memory error" before returning to command prompt.

     "Before returning to command prompt" from which program? Note: kernel
doesn't contains string "Out of memory".

Copy (internal of FreeCOM)

A> - made this same test with MS-DOS 7.10 for comparisons

And?

Results are what I explained below, plus that I got no unexpected error

A> - If the motor has stopped, it waits a reasonable amout of time before
A> showing the error, if the motor is still running (faster retry) it is
A> faster. Delays are comparable between FD and M$.

     So, trouble not with FD? Another reason, that your hardware (drive,
chipset, cable) is broken.

Not HARDWARE: I was forcing erros by _removing_ the disks. Same procedure with both OSs, to be able to get a comparison.

A> - before the error FD makes a little more noise (head movements) than
A> M$, probably a longer head movement or twice the same movement.

Probably, because more retries (5 instead 3).

Ok, that is compatible with what I got

A> Can someone send me a debug enabled KERNEL.SYS please? I believe I can
A> dig out some information with it.

     I already do this. Isn't you receive k-debug.sys? Just rename it to
kernel.sys.

I didn't receive any kernel shipped to me. I got kernel 2035a from Lucho's site, a link was posted here. Please send me a link if sending a file is difficult. BTW I believe that this is not affected by new patches, sot it could be 2035 too.

thanks,
Alain