Luchezar Georgiev wrote:
Hallo Bart,

#define BUILD           "2035a"
#define SUB_BUILD       "-UNSTABLE"
oops, I see it should be BUILD 2035 with SUB_BUILD a-UNSTABLE

I don't know why some people started calling 2035a-UNSTABLE plain 2035a... perhaps just too lazy to type "-UNSTABLE". But it reports that on the screen right?

Any conversation regarding UNSTABLE should refer to it as UNSTABLE or 'development branch' and optionally the cvs (may equal build) date if not the latest sources. Stable series should be refered to either by its version (only valid for released ones) or also by its cvs date if not latest.

Sure. It reports quite a lot of things. But if BUILD is defined as 2035 (Bart) and 2035a (Arkady),it may be used for identification too. I hate the build & version dualism (e. g. version should be 2.0.35), but I know

There is not a Bart and Arkady kernel, there is only a stable and development branch. Because Arkady likes to change lots, his patches are most easily worked into the dev branch, and because Tom/Bart like fewer changes, there's are more easily worked with the stable branch.

As soon as I get time (maybe next week, this week I haven't even had
time for sleep) I will sync in some of Arkady's fixes into to stable
and bump both up to 2035b.

By the way, how is Arkady? Has anybody heard of him recently? I begin to worry about him!

No, I had to check sourceforge archives to make sure I was still getting Kernel mailings, its been so quiet. Hopefully all's well and he is just taking a break to work on other things.

Regards, Lucho

(as for patch starting this discussion, I'll look at it when I get home from work tommorrow afternoon; anyway I've got to get ready ...)

Jeremy