Hi Eric,

> Is that correct? I think SFT-messing programs like Windoze will not be
> happy in particular about all those uninitialized cluster values, the
> missing DCB pointer, and missing dir entry info. The share / ifs stuff
> is probably less interesting or set by SHARE / IFSdrivers directly,
> without kernel interaction.

True, perhaps. I don't think Windows XP will fiddle much with SFTs
though, except in NTVDM... ;)

> Next point are the fnodes themselves:
> f_count, f_mode, f_flags, f_diroff, f_dirstart, f_offset, f_cluster
> and f_cluster_offset all seem to have exact equivalents in the SFT
> slot structure. Am I misunderstanding something here or could we just
> throw away half of the f_node fields by using the SFT slot fields
> instead???

We could, but I don't think it's a good idea. Working directly with SFTs
means bloating the code since these are "far" and not "near".

The *far* fnodes can be eliminated and their purpose can be replaced by
SFTs. Basically the fmemcpy() that is called in save_far_f_node() and
xlt_fd() could be replaced by a function that copies things from or to the
SFT for the fnode. Then all the basic functions (dos_mkdir etc) in fat*.c
can remain unchanged.

That way the two near fnodes become a purely internal FreeDOS
kernel implementation detail within fatfs/fatdir.c; the permanent fnodes
are gone.

I mentioned this before; then Tom replied
so we have the far fnodes in the HMA now and the rest is "planned to do
for an unspecified date".

In retrospect the near/far fnode change was a big step into this direction
(seperating internal/external representation), it doesn't conflict with
it!

Bart