2009/5/18 Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de>:
>>> It won't help FreeDOS of course because it still uses fnodes for these
>>> things instead of SFTs.
>
>> Those are ancient relics that should be done away with.  There is no
>> need for them anymore.  I'd like to put that high on the priority list
>> for kernel development.
>
> in theory you are right. in praxis fnodes are everywhere throughout
> the file system (as you probably know), and there's a reason we left
> them in the kernel the last few years. it's probably fairly easy
> to convert a stable kernel into unstable by trying to convert this.
>
> not that I wouldn't like to get rid of the fnodes (it would be
> a very good thing), but it's probably a non-trivial amount of work
> (and risk) involved with that. dont start it if you are not prepared
> to finish it.

Well, now we have two kinds of f_nodes, the near ones and the far
ones. The far ones are copied to and from near ones using 4 fmemcpy's
in fatfs.c
Replacing the fmemcpy's by a convert fnode to/from SFT function should
be able to eliminate the far fnodes. I'll give that a go.

Once that's done at least some of the fatfs.c functions can be
converted to use SFTs directly. Though this is not as easy as it looks
because fnodes are also used as internal structures for directories.

Bart