2009/5/18 Christian Masloch <c...@bttr-software.de>:
> Good work! I "verified" RBIL's statement that the word at 0Bh was not used
> by checking it for files located on a FAT12 and FAT32 drives. It contained
> a seemingly random value which lead me to the wrong assumption MS-DOS just
> didn't properly initialize it.
>
> However I don't think I'll copy this strange behaviour (at least not by
> default). As reported by Eric, it breaks programs like JAM (the point is,
> even on FAT12 and FAT16 disks) which look into the SFT to get the first
> cluster of a (FAT12 or FAT16) file.

Whether you call it strange depends... I just call it a change in
layout, just like one was made from DOS 3.3x to DOS 4.

It's hard to be compatible to everyone... In any case JAM can be made
compatible to MSDOS 7.10 on FAT16 by DEBUG
(in addition to the changes discussed before):
debug jmount.com
edf3
35
That'll make jmount incompatible with MSDOS<4, DRDOS 5&6, but
compatible with newer versions, because the word at 35h is the last
accessed cluster, and after reading one sector (as Eric showed) that
will still be the starting cluster.

It won't help FreeDOS of course because it still uses fnodes for these
things instead of SFTs.

Bart