Hi Tom, Christian,

>> Which app crashes from running on a FAT+ kernel?

Those which assume that DOS runs FAT filesystems and
uses 32 bit size fields in directory entries or file
offsets and so on. Potentially many normal DOS apps.

>> because EVERY new or extended filesystem breaks them.

Only that this time there is no reason to break them or
extend the filesystem, of course...

> each and every general file handling program like:
>  COPY, XCOPY, Norton/Volkow Commander, ...
>  ZIP, RAR, ...  CHKDSK (and don't tell me CHKDSK isn't
> important), all Norton stuff xxBACKUP

Indeed.

> while they probably won't crash, some wont to what they
> are expected to do.

Which is even worse.

> Are you prepared to check the entire ecosystem of DOS
> utilities if they can handle 4GB+ size files ?

Maybe CM just assumes "it is better because it is DOS"
while I think DOS is better for CERTAIN things instead.

Burning Bluray disks is not interesting for DOS and
even if it was it would be easy to split images (in a
standard format such as raw disk image) into non-huge
parts instead of modifying the whole DOS for a single
application...

In short, there are circa zero apps left where it would
be useful to support huge files in DOS. Once you realize
THAT, you can start doing ACTUALLY useful work, such as
for example writing a version of *SHSUCDX* which has any
support for *UDF* filesystems in the first place, right?

> it's probably MUCH a better idea to teach this hypotetical
> blueray player to handle multiple files.

As Bernd mentioned, some software even already does this.

> that's the reason I think that 4GB+ is a real stupid idea.
> the FreeDOS kernel shouldn't support FAT+

I agree.

>> ...doesn't (yet) support FAT16 file systems larger than 4 GiB
> yes another stupid idea.

FAT32 is much more straightforward and more compatible...
It supports filesystems up to 2 TB, although above 128 GB
some old Windows versions will have troubles using them.

>> , FAT16+ is no option anyway.
> right.

Exactly :-)

Eric