16BIT schreef:
My purpose was to provide a visual template about how to make an MS-DOS config.sys menu system for the purpose of running GRUB for DOS.

thank you very much for doing this. It shows how to use GRUB (for DOS) with an installed FreeDOS.

Your email response was the first time I've read that it is not a good practice. I wonder why. But the reasons you state seem to be along the lines of it being experimental and make you referenced FreeDOS problems.

It is good (good enough) practice, but we should not officially use it (as in: documentation / howto) as long as EMM386 does not 100% emulate EMM386. Michael Devore is still interested in testers.

The config.sys template was very MS-DOS specific, nothing in particular about it would even work with FreeDOS as far as I can tell. Devices such as HIMEM.SYS and ANSI.SYS don't come with FreeDOS. The paths I referenced were C:\MSDOS\ as an additional hint that this is an MS-DOS configuration sample. Not to mention that FreeDOS uses a different menu system altogether.

yes, would you like me to convert your example to FreeDOS syntax? Does the following also work?:

[grub]
SHELL\C:\BOOT\GRUB\GRUB.EXE

Hope I do it correct:

menu 1) GRUB
menu 2) FreeDOS
menudefault=1
menucolor=7,0

1?INSTALL=C:\BOOT\GRUB\GRUB.EXE

2?DOS=HIGH
2?DOS=UMB
2?FILESHIGH=30
2?BUFFERSHIGH=20
2?LASTDRIVEHIGH=Z
2?FCBS=4,4
2?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\HIMEM.EXE
2?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
2?DEVICEHIGH=C:\FDOS\NANSI.SYS
;2?DEVICEHIGH?=C:\BOOT\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:SHSU-CDX
2?SHELL=C:\FDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\FDOS\ /E:1024 /P

2) Did it appear that I was suggesting how to configure FreeDOS?

A little bit. However, I'm also suggesting (forcing..) people how to configure FreeDOS by creating a sample config.sys/autoexec.bat when finishing installation.

I wish GRUB for DOS would work with FreeDOS. The documentation I've read indicate there was a FreeDOS bug that no longer exists and that it SHOULD work.

Maybe someone will take some time and try it with FreeDOS as their mileage may vary.

No time yet, maybe later.

Bernd

------------------------------------------------------- The SF.Net email is sponsored by: Beat the post-holiday blues Get a FREE limited edition SourceForge.net t-shirt from ThinkGeek. It's fun and FREE -- well, almost....http://www.thinkgeek.com/sfshirt _______________________________________________ Freedos-user mailing list Freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user