Hi, while it would be easy to remove the "write new empty partition
table if reading the partition table failed" nonsense from FDISK,
would it be against the FreeDOS SPECS to just replace it by, say,
XFDISK? I mean, XFDISK is open source. It only does not LOOK like
the old MS DOS user interface, but hey, that was crap anyway...

http://www.mecronome.de/xfdisk/index.php

Eric

PS: I am sure there are other, even better, alternatives, but
xfdisk was just the first alternative FDISK that came into mind
when I thought about replacements. And that xfdisk homepage has
some false claims (e.g. only Lilo can boot Linux, and the first
track has 17 free sectors which are free for xfdisk fiddling...)
does not exactly make it more promising... Still better than FD FDISK?

PPS: I know that our FDISK has a big number of command-line driven
options, so whatever we use as replacement would also have to be
quite scriptable, for those who really liked those features...!